Tuesday 3 November 2015

How to make lip balm


I've noticed in the past few weeks the dreaded dry skin has made an appearance. The central heating and weather change makes my skin go mental every year so I am preparing myself for the elements. The best thing about making your own balm is you can customise them however you choose! 

I'm in love with Burt's Bees products, especially as they're natural and aren't tested on animals. So I had a little scout for recipes and came across a simple one that I adapted. 

I've made tea tree lip balm for sore chapped lips, sunflower balm which smells AMAZING and also doubles up as a solid perfume, tinted rose lip balm and lavender lip balm- a calming smell for those who are prone to anxiety. 

{I invited the girls round for a making session, they really got into it!}

You will need:

  • Beeswax (can buy off Amazon!)
  • Shea butter (Amazon too!)
  • Coconut oil (You can get this from any super market)
  • Essential oils
  • Petals 
  • Lipstick (for the tinted balm)
  • Pots- I got mine for a few quid on... you guessed it... Amazon!


How to make:

(This is to make 8-12 pots) 

Heat water in a pan and put a glass bowl over it- making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. 

Scoop a teaspoon of beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil and put into the glass bowl to melt. Wait until the mixture is completely melted. 

For tinted: cut off a chunk of lipstick, I recycled one I haven't used in years! Melt this into the mix.

Turn the heat off, but keep the bowl over the hot water and add the essential oil, do this to your liking. I put 5 drops in mine- you don't want it too strong!

Line up your pots ready, when you take the bowl off the heat the balm solidifies pretty quick so you've got to move fast! 

Pick up your bowl and pour your balm SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY into the pots. Use oven gloves! 


If you want to add petals, make sure they are ready to sprinkle into the hot balm. 

Leave your pots to set on a flat surface, give them at least 12 hours to set and then you are good to go!

{I gave Raz (my bestie at work) a pot of the 'pink peppermint' tinted balm. Her first reaction was "what?! how does it look so professional?!"}


Happy making :) 

Hana xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment