Friday 2 October 2015

And that's the way the cookie crumbles... Millie's Cookies style!


This week has flown by at an alarming speed, I almost don’t feel ready for the weekend! Actually, ignore that, that’s a ridiculous comment. So, I thought I would let you in on a secret… I have found the perfect cookie recipe. You know when you eat a cookie, you want it to be soft on the inside and with a slight crunch around the edge? Yeah? NAILED IT.

I’m making this very dramatic, and I’m aware I’m building your expectations, but trust me, they are worth every crumb. 


You will need:

125g salted butter

100g light brown soft sugar

125g caster sugar

1 egg

2 tbsp vanilla extract- extract is always better than essence. The vanilla I always use is Madagascan Vanilla Extract.

225g self-raising flour

1/2 tsp salt

200g chocolate chips 

Little tip- I prefer to use a hand-held electric whisk for this recipe.

How to make:

  • Always remember to pre heat your oven! Whack it up to 180 degrees Celsius.
  • Put the butter in the microwave or over a low heat to melt slightly, if in the microwave, no longer than 30 seconds, you don't want to totally melt it, it's just to make it easier when mixing.
  • Cream the butter, then add sugar (both brown and caster). Once it's all mixed, add in the egg and the vanilla. I tend to stir the egg in rather than use an electric whisk.   
  • Add the flour, salt, then the chocolate chips.
  • Use a spoon for this as it will get quite, well, doughy. 
  • If the mix is a little warm from the butter or it's a bit soft, put it in the fridge for a bit. 
  • For a little tip, run your hands under cold water for when you roll the cookie balls- stops your hands from getting too sticky!


  • Mine are quite big, so I rolled mine into golf ball sizes, if you want a bit smaller, just roll smaller balls!
  • Pop them onto a flat tin with greaseproof paper, make sure they are evenly spaced as they will spread. 
  • If yours are my kind of size, bake for no longer than 9 mins, I know that's stupidly accurate, but every minute counts! If they are more of a walnut size ball, then 7 mins. 
  • Don't worry if you think they don't look done when the timer goes off. They will set and carry on cooking for a few minutes once out of the oven. They will also be a bit soft to touch, but that's a good thing!  



Leave your cookies on a wire rack to cool and to avoid getting stuck to the tray! I’ve gone with the good old fashioned chocolate chip theme, but you really can throw in whatever you like with these fellas. Maybe cranberry and white chocolate? Or dark chocolate and macadamia nuts?

As I work in a newsroom, it’s a pretty big office, so I made a huge batch of these bad boys and took them into work today. I would have to say, the response was a huge success. I had emails pinging and people telling me how yummy they were whilst stuffing in the next mouthful before they had finished the first. 




Job well done I would say. 

Have a wonderful weekend, it’s meant to be a sunny one! 


H xx

No comments:

Post a Comment