Tuesday 20 October 2015

Turn your jeans into a wheat bag!


It's that time of the year when everyone seems to be dropping like flies. Everywhere I go I'm followed by constant sneezes, bunged up noses and sniffles. When you're poorly you just want to get cosy on the sofa in your jim jams so I've made the ultimate lavender scented sickness buddy. 

Throughout my life I've always had a wheat bag, you know, one of those things you bung in the microwave and cuddle up with. They are also my first point of call when I have any aches or pains!  

These are super easy to make and a great way to recycle your old jeans or jumpers!


You will need:

  • Cotton based jeans or a jumper sleeve
  • For your filler you can use: Uncooked rice, wheat, oats, seed feed. {I used rice}
  • Sewing machine or hand sew with needle and thread
  • Lavender {you can use other scents!}
  • Lavender oil  
  • Dress makers pins

How to make:

Cut one of the legs or sleeves of your jeans or jumper to a legnth you would like your bag to be. Give yourself an extra inch for when you sew.


Turn the material inside out and fold over each end and pin down. 


I still don't own a sewing machine {it's on the wish list!} Sew above the pins, making sure your stitches are close together. 

Do the same for the other end but leave a gap of 2 inches. 

Turn your fabric back the right way by feeding it through the gap you've left. 

Then in a bowl mix your filling with picked lavender and 5 drops of oil. Use a funnel and pour the mix into the bag. 

Sew up the 2 inch gap and if you have a little label then you can stick that in there too! I've got little cute ones I ordered online which say 'handmade by Hana' on. 

And that's it! I wanted to keep mine simple but you can decorate these in any way you choose- just check the material is microwavable. 



Hana xxx





  

No comments:

Post a Comment