Thursday 10 December 2015

Spiced and simple mulled wine recipe


I went to a Christmas market in Winchester a few weeks back, it was like a scene from a Christmas card. Markets are one of my favourite parts of the festive season, sleepy villages spring to life with decorations and twinkly lights. I spent far too much money {mainly on myself which makes it even worse} but I was able to pick up a few bits for friends and family. 


I'd never really had mulled wine before, I'm not a huge lover of red wine- always goes too my head far too quickly. But as we walked past a wooden hut adorned with fairy lights, the sweet, spiced smell convinced me to have a cup. 


I've now been converted. I, Hana Carter, am a huge fan of mulled wine. 

When I like something I can often become obsessed with it- I'm swaying on my chair with a bottle of red as I type this. 

I joke. 

But I did decide to make my own...


You will need:

  • I only wanted to make one bottle so I only used one bottle of red. 
  • 3 large oranges
  • 100g Brown sugar- granulated 
  • 3 apples
  • 4 cloves
  • 2 cinnamon sticks 
  • 4 black cardamon pods
  • 100g Dried cranberries 
  • 80g Dried ginger 
Or you can buy mulled wine spice mixes from most food shops. Most will contain the ingredients in bold. 


 How to make:

Pour the wine into a pan and slowly heat. Add in the sugar and stir until dissolved. 

Slice up chunks of apple and orange and throw them in. Leave one orange half and squeeze into the wine. Then add to the pan. 


Add your spices and berries to the wine and stir. 

Leave on a low heat for an hour {or more!} and by then all the gorgeous flavours will have transformed the wine. Christ I sound like Nigella minus the cleavage. 

Using a sieve, strain the fruit and spices so you are left with just the wine.

If you are going to pop yours in a bottle for a Christmas present, allow it to cool down completely. Then store as you would normal red wine. 

Enjoy! H xxx 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment